[Tutor] basic plotting questions (pyplot vs matplotlib, etc)

Che M pine508 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 00:23:36 CET 2007

I'd like to learn to use basic plotting in a wxPython GUI app,
with plots embedded in the GUI.  Some questions about this:

1) Of pyplot or matplotlib, which might you recommend?  My needs are:

- embedded plots in GUI (either can AFAIK)
- basic point/line/pie/bar graphs, regression lines, clickable points. (not
sure if pyplot does regression
  lines or pie charts.)
- get the datapoints from a SQLite database queries
- reasonably do-able for a determined beginner programmer (me)
- not too memory intensive/app-bloating

Clearly matplotlib can do it all but I'm unsure if it is overkill for my
needs?

2) What does "DC" mean?  As in wxDC?

3) I'd like to try a simple embedded plot in pyplot to get started.  Boa
Constructor will place
a plot canvas to start, but I'm having trouble wading through the code of
the pyplot example
from the wxPython demo.  Could someone help me with the barest bones of a
simple line
plot on a canvas?  Just x = (1,2,3,4,5), y = (2,4,6,8,10) sort of thing.

TIA,
Che