[Tutor] Digital-to- Roman (pseudocode)

Alan Gilfoy agilfoy at frontiernet.net
Thu Mar 8 16:39:41 CET 2007

Quoting Bob Gailer <bgailer at alum.rpi.edu>:

> Make sure each step
> is one simple operation. Walk thru the steps to verify that you have
> them correct.

Bob, your email did inspire me on how I would express the process in
computer-processing terms.

Here's how I'd break down the steps, using "pseudocode".
I might also be askign how to convert each bit of pseudocode into actual code.

(For both, I'm going to program in "exceptions" for numbers less than
0 or greater than 3999, which is MMMCMXCIX in Roman numerals. That is
the highest number that can be expressed in Roman numerals using
strings of no morer than 3 of the same letter (standard rule for Roman
numerals), and using only the symbols I, V, X, L, C, D and M.)
I know there are ways to express a Roman numeral for 5,000 and higher,
but I'm goign to pgram those in later.

Digital to Roman pseudocode:

1. if digital_input is greater than 1000:
subtract 1000 from it and add "M" to string roman_result
# How do you do that, add one character to the end of an existing string?
# also, how do I modify the digital_input variable (it's an integer)
several times through the conversion process?

if digital_input is less than 1000:
is it greater than 900? If so, subtract 900 from digital_input and add
"CM" to string roman_reuslt

is it less than 900?
If it's less than 900, but greater than 500, subtract 500, and add "D"
to the string.

If it's less than 900, and less than 500, is it greater than 400?
If so, subtract 400 from input and add "CD" to the string.
If it isn't greater than 400, but greater than 100, subtract 100 from
the input and add "C" to the result string.

is it less than 100?
If it is, but it's greater than 90, subtract 90 and add "XC" to the string.
if it is less than 90, but greater than 50, subtract 50, and add "L"
to the string.

(and so on, down from 50 to 1)