[Tutor] building an interactive deamon

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 9 23:14:47 CET 2007

"Thanos Panousis" <pthanos at gmail.com> wrote

> How can I make a daemon that does not need to be restarted
> every time a configuration is changed?

There are several ways to do this.
Simplest if you are sleeping for periods is simply to re-read
the config after every wake-up.

Other options incliude using select() I think select will
work for files so if anything changes on the watched file
select will run its code.

> As a side question, is there a more elegant way of making something
> a deamon
> other than the ole
> while True:
>   do_stuff()
>   sleep(some_time)

select can be used instead of the sleep to only run the code
when an interesting event happens - provided your events are
detectable by select of course!.

The twisted framework should offer some other options too,
but I've never used twisted so am no expert.

Alan G.