[Tutor] Developing a GUI application

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Fri Mar 23 21:19:13 CET 2007

I'm pretty much just a dabbler in Python.

Up to now I've mostly been doing line-oriented programs, but I have a
small app I want to write that I think would be a good candidate to write
as a GUI-based app.

I'd like advice from the more seasoned programmers here: how do you
approach a GUI-based app?

I figure one way to do it is to write the nuts and bolts of it using plain
old line oriented techniques; and then write the GUI, calling the
functions already written.

The other way would be to write a GUI shell with all the controls, but
calling dummy functions; then write the functions to do the tasks.

What's the general wisdom here?

(If it matters: I'm going to use wxPython; and my app is yet another CDROM
database program; more details available if it matters.)