[Tutor] Developing a GUI application

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 03:45:44 CET 2007

R. Alan Monroe wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Luke Paireepinart wrote:
>>

>> I've also thought of having a twist here for MP3 files, specifically,
>> distinguishing between the files' audio frames and identification info
>> frames, and checksumming only the audio portion; so that two otherwise
>> identical MP3 files with different ID3 data would nonetheless have the
>> same audio checksum and show up as identical; but that's an idea for the
>> future.
>>

> I suspect this would run into problems if you used a Fraunhoffer
> encoder and I used the LAME encoder, for instance, even if we both
> ripped from the same cd to start with.

Yeah, also if it were the same song with a different
bitrate/frequency/(stereo/mono/dual)/ etc.

I think the point of it was that, if I have a song with messed up tags,
and I back it up, but later fix the tags,
if it were governed just by the md5 of the whole file, these two
wouldn't be considered identical.
Remember this program is to help him keep track of backups.