[Tutor] A string-manipulation question

Alan Gilfoy agilfoy at frontiernet.net
Fri Mar 30 01:15:24 CEST 2007

Hi. I want to learn how to "break down" a string into its component
words, and then process each word somehow.

Is there a way in Python to separate a string into its component words.

Like this:
"I would like to convert an English string (sentence) into Pig Latin."

The Pig Latin conversion I think I can handle already (if not, I'll
cross that bridge when I come to it.) However, what I want help on is
how to make each word of the string a separate value, or at least make
it able to index the string by word, as opposed to the standard method
of strings being indexed by character.
"Computers were the first God-Satan collaboration project."
"Blind faith in bad leadership is not patriotism."

"One of the most horrible features of war is that all the war-propaganda, all
the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not
fighting."-George Orwell, _Homage to Catalonia