[Tutor] visualizing code structure / flow charting

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Tue Nov 6 19:50:25 CET 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:36:51AM -0500, Kent Johnson wrote:
> Timmie wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am stepping forward into learning python and write my first programs now.
> > To facilitate my development I have a question:
> >
> > Is there a tool which I can run on my code and then get a flow chart from it or
> > visualize its structure in another form?
>
> http://pycallgraph.slowchop.com/ will show the call graph
> epydoc 3.0 can create a variety of graphics including call graph,
> package diagram and class diagrams:
> http://epydoc.sourceforge.net/whatsnew.html
>
> Stepping through code in a debugger is a good way to understand it.
> Winpdb is a good choice:
> http://www.digitalpeers.com/pythondebugger/

There are a variety of IDEs (integrated development environments)
that may help.  See:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

Two that I've looked at:

- Geany -- http://geany.uvena.de/

- Eric -- http://www.die-offenbachs.de/eric/index.html -- Eric was
  easy to install on Debian GNU/Linux, but may be more of a
  challenge on MS Windows.

Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman