[Tutor] In-place expansion of list members... possible?

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:04:34 CET 2007

> > What puzzles me most is that I can replace 'seg' with just about
> > anything else -
> >         for seg in tmpSegs:
> >             seg = seg.strip()
> > or
> >         for seg in tmpSegs:
> >             seg = 'bananas'
> > or
> >         for seg in tmpSegs:
> >             seg = seg + ' bananas'
> > and it works.  So why can't I replace it with its own split?
>
> If by 'it works' you mean that tmpSegs is changed...you are mistaken or
> there is something you are not showing. Can you show why you think this
> changes tmpSegs?

I see I have been misled by trying too many things in a short time and
confusing my results.  I could have sworn that late last night, before I hit
on the solution of assigning to a new list altogether, I tried the above
examples and followed them with another "for seg in tmpSegs" loop that
simply printed the contents.

I now suspect myself of being too sleepy (and probably inadvertently
assigning to a new list anyway!) at the time, because - as you already know
- when I try it now, tmpSegs is unchanged.  I hang my head in shame.

Thanks for the responses -

Marc
--
www.fsrtechnologies.com