[Tutor] New Introductory Book

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Thu Nov 8 20:47:59 CET 2007

Danyelle Gragsone wrote:
> I wonder what schools offer python as a course.

It has been rather widely publicized of late that MIT this year switched
all their incoming computer science and electrical engineering students
to Python (from Lisp) as their introductory programming language.

They use this well regarded $26.40 textbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Introduction-Computer-Science/dp/1887902996/

There is a computer science department at my university. They don't
teach languages. Teaching languages is frowned upon in some computer
science departments under the logic that if you belong in a computer
science class, you'd better show up for class already knowing something
as easy to grasp as an implementation language. Some computer science
courses at my university have an implementation language used in the
class. I've noticed both Python and Lisp used.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.seacoos.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323