[Tutor] New Introductory Book

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 20:52:45 CET 2007

> I wonder what schools offer python as a course.  Sadly all the
> colleges here offer only perl.

Danyelle's question brings up an issue i have, and that is that
courses in colleges are typically "computer science" courses, at least
at the university level.  there really aren't any "programming
language courses," or at least, not when i was in college.  a regular
CS course is where you learn the fundamentals but then implement your
projects/homework in a chosen language (or 2), such as Java and
Scheme.

courses that *do* teach specific languages are usually electives and
not part of the core curriculum. one of the best things about Python,
as you are all aware, is that it is so "diet," that students get to
focus on learning the key/core concepts of computer science without
getting bogged down by difficult syntax, data structure, or memory
mgmt issues.

On 11/8/07, bhaaluu <bhaaluu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another way to judge how the book is, is by reading the posts the author
> sends to THIS list in order to help people. Mr. Chun and Mr. Gauld are
> two authors who provide help on this list. I certainly don't mind if they
> advertise their books on occassion -- they are also Tutors!

just my $0.02,
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com