[Tutor] New Introductory Book

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:51:42 CET 2007

Algorithm Education in Python

This article from Pai H. Chou at University of California, Irvine
shows how well the Python programming language maps itself
to the pseudocode used in _Introduction to Algorithms Second Editon_
[Corman, Leiserson, Rivest, Stein. 2001. McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0262032937].

Excerpt from the article:
7. Conclusions and Future Educational Plans
This paper reports our use of Python in an algorithms course in the
past two years. As an
algorithm-oriented language, Python enables our students to learn key
concepts in algorithm
design, instead of struggling with low-level, idiosyncratic features
of conventional programming
languages. The way Python handles data types represents a perfect
match with the way
textbooks present algorithms, and its interpretive nature encourages
students to experiment
with the language.

I have a copy of Corman, and it really is amazing how "Python" all the
pseudocode is!