[Tutor] parsing an array

O.R.Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 04:08:49 CET 2007

* sith . <sith618 at yahoo.com> [2007-11-09 17:53:53]:

> newfile = open('y.txt')
>   >>> for line in newfile:
>   ...  print line.rstrip()
>
> 3 5 7
>   11 8 10

This example is different from a array handling one. This is a file handle with with reading the contents of the file through a loop.

>   Hi,
> I'm trying to parse an array.  Now that I can open and read lines in my array, how can I access individual elements of my multidimensional array?  I'd like to loop through the array and compare values in each line.
> If w is the array, if w[0][1]<w[0][2], write w[0][0] to w[0][3]
> Numpy?  Thanks.

You dont require Numpy for a simple task as this.
Suppose your array is:

a = [[0,1,2,3,4,5],[1,2,3,4,5,6]]

You cannot modify the same array when you are looping through it. You have to loop through the copy of the contents :- a[:].

# Untested code

for i in a[:]: # You are looping through the copy of contents
   for j in i:
       # implement your logic with j
       if j < i[0]: # or any dynamic conditional check.
	  a[i][j] = j

Does this help you?

Thanks,

--