[Tutor] repeat

Scott SA pydev at rscorp.ab.ca
Sat Nov 17 09:01:09 CET 2007

On 11/17/07, Michael (python at mrfab.info) wrote:

>This has probably been asked before but can I get some clarification on
>why Python does not have a repeat...until statement, and does that mean
>repeat...until is bad practice? I was trying to get Python on the
>standard langauge list for my state secondary school system but they say
>a langauge must have a test last structure in it to be considered.

While you may feel your assertion to be true, it will persist until discovered  false...

    <http://docs.python.org/ref/while.html>

... to date has satisfied my needs for the task. 8^)

Like many things in Python there are alternates, even to this (I expect to be learning more of them myself for a good long time 8^)

More examples and detail can be found at:
    <http://www.diveintopython.org/>
    <http://www.pasteur.fr/formation/infobio/python/ch10s03.html>
    <http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/tutloops.htm>

Simply put:

    while [test]:
        do something

 or

    while True:
        do something
        if [test]:
            break

    x = 0

    while x < 100:
        x += 1

    print x
    100

Still, the links can elaborate more than I can.

HTH

Scott