[Tutor] ElementTree - reading large XML files as file handles

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Nov 21 18:21:23 CET 2007

Srinivas Iyyer wrote:
> Dear tutors,
>
> I use ElementTree for XML works. I have a 1.3GB file
> to parse.
>

> I takes a lot of time to open my input XML file.
>
> Is that because of my hardware limitation or am I
> using a blunt method to load the file.
>
> my computer config:
> Inte(R)
> Pentium(R)4 CPU 2.80GHz
> 2.79GHz, 0.99GB of RAM
>
> from elementtree import ElementTree
> myfile = open('myXML.out','r')

Reading a 1.3 GB file on a machine with .99 GB RAM is certainly pushing
things. To parse it into an ElementTree will probably double or triple
your memory requirements.

> Do you suggest any tip to circumvent the file opening
> problem.

Do you need the whole parsed tree at once or can you process it a little
at a time? If not, maybe this will help:
http://effbot.org/zone/element-iterparse.htm

Kent