[Tutor] Python CMS advice wanted

jim stockford jim at well.com
Wed Nov 28 04:48:23 CET 2007

    I'd love to know scott's definition of "framework", especially
contrasting with full-blown CMS.
    Frameworks for Python:
CherryPy · Django · Karrigell · Nevow · Porcupine · Pylons · Spyce ·
TurboGears · TwistedWeb · Webware · Zope
    per  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_(web_framework)

    Richard, i think from the (very) little investigation i did
following scott's last post, that you should investigate
Django. to me it looks like a pretty streamlined "framework"
that marries a database (your choice of a few) to a web
server (apache seems their choice) via mod_python.
    there's a learning curve, but that seems an inevitable
hurdle: you only get to choose which, so do a little
window shopping.
    the example sites look streamlined. django presents
an object-oriented API to whatever database you hook
to.  mod_python ensures near-optimum performance.
    If you take a look on the top-level page for django
http://www.djangoproject.com/
you should see a link for "DRY principle". Click it and
read and follow the links in the subsequent pages:
you'll find an easy-to-read, to-the-point set of links to
coders' wisdom (Don't Repeat Yourself,
OnceAndOnlyOnce, YouAren'tGonnaNeedIt, and more).

http://www.djangoproject.com/