[Tutor] CGI File Woes

Martin Walsh mwalsh at groktech.org
Mon Oct 1 02:44:35 CEST 2007

wormwood_3 wrote:
> Those examples were a lot of help Martin. Turned out the only issue was that I did not have this line right:
>
> print "Content-type: text/html\n\n"

Sam,

Glad the examples helped. I should probably fess up and point out that I
mistakenly added an additional newline to that print statement. You only
need one, as the print itself will append an extra. So by adding the
addition \n, a blank line will be sent to the browser as part of the
page content, which shouldn't be a problem for text/html content-types.
But as soon as you want to serve up another content-type (eg. image/png)
you may run into odd problems.

So, the corrected print statement should look like this:

print "Content-type: text/html\n"

or as described in the docs, http://docs.python.org/lib/cgi-intro.html

print "Content-type: text/html"
print