[Tutor] internet access

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Thu Oct 11 18:08:39 CEST 2007

I used to run an old linux laptop with two NICs as my firewall, but I
played a bit with DD-WRT and now I'm an evangelist.

DD-WRT is based on an embedded Linux kernel and provides a great set of
features, including time based filters, web GUI, ssh access and a real
unix command line as well as VPN, traffic shaping and a host of other
great services.  I generally advocate the Motorola WR850G's, as they
allow you to load the DD-WRT firmware from the factory web interface,
whereas many other devices require a "hack".  Supported hardware is
listed here:http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices, if
you have a SOHO wireless G router, there's a good chance DD-WRT will run
on it.

That reminds me, there's a new release I should go try out.  :-)