[Tutor] 2 problems in a small script

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 13 01:19:52 CEST 2007

"Terry Carroll" <carroll at tjc.com> wrote

> It took me a while to get list comprehensions.  It's one of those
> things
> that suddenly snaps into place and you're suddenly comfortable with.

Me too and I still don't like the syntax.

its the

[x for x in...

bit at the start that reads badly for me, I'd have preferred
if there was a seperator of some sort:

[x | for x in ...

or something. The problem is most punctuation is already
used for something that is valid in an expression. The only thing that
I think is OK is an exclamation mark but that, although somewhat
similar to a | looks like a factorial operarion.

But once you get used to it they are concise if not quite as
descriptive as their functional.equivalents map/filter.

Alan G.