[Tutor] upgrading Python

David Millar davmillar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 21:19:41 CEST 2007

Hi there,

I'm not familiar with Mandrake, but I use Ubuntu Linux and my package
manager does updates for me. It looks like Madrake has a package manager
called urpmi according to Wikipedia - have you tried using that to install a
new RPM package for Python 2.5.1 or simply trying to have it automatically
update for you? If you have some other package manager there may be a
different way to do it though - if you had apt-get or Synaptic I could walk
you through it that way.

Anyway, once you do have it installed, I believe that /usr/bin/python just
has the basic stuff and references everything else in the other executable
script, so you shouldn't have to change the "#!" line ever ever.

I hope something I said helps with Q4&5!

Dave