[Tutor] killing bash, sshd... dangerous?

John washakie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 00:12:11 CET 2007

No, mostly just playing around with scripting.... and I have a problem
sometimes with cygwin where logging out from bash session, the xterm hangs,
so this seems to fix it... but it's not really the best solution... needs
some mods, I'm sure.

On 10/28/07, Tom Tucker <tktucker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Instead of reading in an outputfile (.ps), try reading from command
> output.  The correct terminology escapes me (for file in
> os.popen(cmd).readlines():).
>
> Are you looking for a auto logout method? For example if no activity
> after X minutes kill the shell.  Bash and a few other shells have this
> functionality already.
>

> On 10/28/07, John <washakie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, I've written a little script with the intention of killing all of
> my
> > bash, sshd sessions... is this dangerous? How could I make it work so
> that
> > it didn't kill the session it was run from (as it is I suppose I have to
> run
> > it with nohup):
> >

> > #!/usr/bin/env python
> > import os
> >
> > cmd="ps -u myuser | grep 'bash' > .ps"
> > os.system(cmd)
> >
> > pid=[]
> > fid=open('.ps','r')
> > for line in fid:
> >         pid.append(line.split(' ')[0])
> >
> > for i in pid:
> >         cmd="""kill -9 %s""" % (i)
> >         os.system(cmd)
> >

> > cmd="ps -u myuser | grep 'sshd' > .ps"
> > os.system(cmd)
> >
> > pid=[]
> > fid=open('.ps','r')
> > for line in fid:
> >         pid.append(line.split(' ')[0])
> >
> > for i in pid:
> >         cmd="""kill -9 %s""" % (i)
> >         os.system(cmd)

Configuration
Plone 2.5.3-final,
CMF-1.6.4,
Zope (Zope 2.9.7-final, python 2.4.4, linux2),
Five 1.4.1,
Python 2.4.4 (#1, Jul 3 2007, 22:58:17) [GCC 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat
4.1.1-51)],
PIL 1.1.6