[Tutor] Build exe on Vista, have it run on XP?

O.R.Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 21:09:11 CET 2007

* Michael Langford <mlangford.cs03 at gtalumni.org> [2007-10-29 10:59:34]:

> I'm trying to build a exe on a vista system using py2exe. It will deploy to
> vista and XP systems. If it matters, the application uses pyserial, as well.

Before you proceed with lot of other experiments, my suggestion would be build exes on VISTA and XP separately, and trying running on the other system. I am assuming the either of the two.
a) VISTA dlls should be backward compatible with XP, which your issue indicates that you faced problems.
b) functionality which is provided by exe built on XP, should be provided by VISTA as well.

I would also suggest to check the files and for any incompatible ones, ship both. I doubt, if renaming of msvcrt.dll to something like msvcrt1.dll will work if you have carry both. Just a little research on py2exe checking if we can ship two same named dlls in perhaps different folders can help.

Thanks,
Senthil

--
O.R.Senthil Kumaran