[Tutor] Python scripting

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 8 09:24:38 CEST 2007

"Ryan" <silas428 at gmail.com> wrote

>I am on a linux machine and I was wondering about python scripting.

Python is usually installed on linux.

Just type python at a shell prompt.

> Mainly to get it up and running but also what can I do with
> it etc. Any help would be appreciated, Thnx

Python is probably installed or you can use your distros installer
to get a package, eg rpm for it. So installation should be easy.
Don't forget to get the documentation too, sometimes its a
separate download on Linux.

What you can do?
It can replace a lot of shjell scripting for administrative tasks.
It can create small tools, analyze text, or even create fiull
blown applications.It depends on how skillful you become
and how much time you have. Take a look on sourceforge
for Python based projects. That should give you an idea
of the potential.

And visit the beginners pages of the Python web site for
more info about Python and tutorial links to get you started.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site