[Tutor] input file encoding

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Sep 11 13:59:35 CEST 2007

Tim Golden wrote:

> Ah, I see. I'm so used to Windows where there is, technically an encoding
> for the console window, but you can't really do anything about
> it (apart from the awkward chcp) and it isn't really in your face. I
> do *use* Linux sometimes, but I don't really think in it :)

Actually you would run into the same problems on Windows if you tried to
print UTF-8 or Unicode data.

The only reason the Windows encoding is not in your face is that enough
data is in ascii/latin-1/cp1252 that you can coast along in blissful
ignorance. As soon as you have to deal with text in
Japanese/Chinese/Korean/Russian/Turkish/Arabic/Greek/Hebrew/Thai/Klingon/etc
you will have a rude awakening and a quick lesson in encoding awareness.

Kent