[Tutor] Image Analysis

Eike Welk eike.welk at gmx.net
Wed Sep 12 01:57:35 CEST 2007

Hello Sam;

if you seriously want to do image analysis, you should use Numpy,
Scipy, and Matplotlib. Scipy has a sub-project named 'ndimage' which
implements many common image analysis algorithms. You should also
subscribe to the mailinglists of these projects.

Numpy and Scipy:
http://www.scipy.org/
Matplotlib:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
A nice Python enhancement is Ipython:
http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

You should also bookmark this page:
http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List

I have written a little program, to illustrate how it works. The
program tries to recognize red blood cells in a microscopic image
(from Wikipedia). It also counts the cells and measures their
diameter. (The program does not work very well, although I've spent
way too much time on it.)
I have attached the program, the input image, and the output image.

Usage:
Start Ipython with:
    ipython --pylab

Then type:
    run "image.py"

The program should run with regular Python as well.

Kind regards,
Eike.