[Tutor] When to use a class

Eric Lake ericlake at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 17 18:44:09 CEST 2007

I am still trying to understand when to use a class and when not to. All
of the coding that I have done in the past (Python, Perl) has been
procedural / functional. I would really like to do more OOP but I am not
really sure when I need it.

I have the following code. Is there any way that it would benefit from
using a class?

<code>

#!/usr/bin/env python

import string
import _winreg
import sys

compName = sys.argv[1]

x = _winreg.ConnectRegistry(compName,_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
y = _winreg.OpenKey(x,
r"SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion")
avParent = _winreg.QueryValueEx(y,"Parent")[0]

_winreg.CloseKey(y)

print "Computer: %s \tAV Parent: %s" % (compName,avParent)

</code>

--

Thanks
Eric Lake