[Tutor] Income calculator

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:05:19 CEST 2007

On 9/20/07, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

> "Boykie Mackay" <boykie.mackay at gmail.com> wrote
>
> >I have tried the code and it does give a syntax error.Another lesson
> >for
> > me I guess.I should test code before posting,unless I'm sure of my
> > post.
>
> It's a good idea, but don't worry about it. I've been caught out a few
> times myself.
>
> Alan G

I've tested the following with Python 2.4 running on GNU/Linux,
and it seems to work fine. I believe I had to add a closing parens
somewhere, and also added another input at the bottom so it
would loop again so I could type 'quit' or 'details'.

#!/usr/bin/env python
# This is pyFinances v0.2

menu = """
To use this program, type 'details' to enter your details and 'quit'
to quit the program.
"""
financeLogs = {}
options = raw_input((menu))
while options != 'quit':
    if options == 'details':
	financeLogs['n_rate'] = float(raw_input("Hourly rate: "))
	financeLogs['o_rate'] = float(raw_input("By which sum is your rate
multiplied for overtime hours? "))
	financeLogs['n_hours'] = float(raw_input("Normal hours to work: "))
	financeLogs['o_hours'] = float(raw_input("Overtime hours to work: "))
	financeLogs['month'] = raw_input("For which month are you due payment? ")
	financeLogs['rates'] = financeLogs['n_rate'] * financeLogs['o_rate']
	financeLogs['total'] = (financeLogs['n_rate']) *
(financeLogs['n_hours']) + (financeLogs['o_rate'] *
financeLogs['o_hours'])
        print "Your expected earnings for %s is %d" %
(financeLogs['month'], financeLogs['total'])
        options = raw_input((menu))

Now he needs to add a way to save the details to a file, and open
the file to edit the details. If I'm not mistaken, since the details are
in dictionary form, a 'pickle' is called for? =)
--
bhaaluu at gmail dot com