[Tutor] [Fwd: Re: python problem - help!!]

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 10:58:31 CEST 2007

Greetings,

I ran the code sample you sent and found a couple of errors
that wouldn't let the code run.

The first error has to do with variable assignment.
When you assign a variable, it is usually on the left and
what you want to assign to it is on the right. See Lines 25,29.

The second error has to do with the first error in a way.
See Line 41.  '%d' is a placeholder for an integer.  '%2d' ?
'%s' is a placeholder for a string.
What "type" is the variable 'team'?
(Hint: print type(team))

'%.2f' is a placeholder for a float displaying
two places to the right of decimal point.
Example:
testvar = 10.012345
print 'testvar: %.2f' % testvar
Output:
testvar: 10.01
print 'testvar: %.2f' % testvar
Output:
testvar: 10.0123

As far as the maths in your program? I can't say.
Perhaps if you get the program running, you can figure them out?

Debugging tips:
A cheap debugger that can be used
as you create your program can
be as simple as the following:

variable = value   # assign a variable a value
print variable   # display the value
print type(variable)   # display the variable 'type'
raw_input()   # breakpoint: (Pause. Press <Enter> to Continue...)

--
bhaaluu at gmail dot com