[Tutor] Newb Learning Question

bob gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Wed Apr 2 19:29:27 CEST 2008

Jeffrey Dates wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have no previous experience in scripting.  Python is my first
> language...
> I'm currently trying to build a logic model for how to 'think' in
> Python, so please excuse my ignorance.
>
> Currently, I'm running through some basic 101 tutorials, to wrap my
> head around solving problems.
> I'm looking for some advice on how to solve the following exercise:
>
> "Write a program that prints the first letter of a string that comes
> after 'm' in the alphabet."
>
> what I had so far:
>
> for code in range(ord("a"), ord("z") +1):
>     if code == ord("m"):
>         print chr(code +1)
>
> Now, this solves for the first letter after "M"

which is NOT what the exercise wants!

Consider "are you ready?". Which character is the first that comes after
'm' in the alphabet."?

BTW did you mean after "m"? Caps and lower case are different.

> , but doesn't do it via a string....

I for one am reluctant to just give an answer. I prefer to lead you to a
solution.

So, I suggest you write a program to:
    assign a candidate string to a variable (choose a string that has at
least one letter that "comes after 'm'")
    test each character to see if it "comes after 'm'"
    print that character
    stop

Do as much as you can, and ask more questions.

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239 Chapel Hill, NC