[Tutor] Which Python Script Editor of Choice?

Anthony Baldwin tonytraductor at linguasos.org
Thu Apr 3 18:44:17 CEST 2008

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
> Eric and SPE are also nice.
>
> The good thing here is that the majority of IDEs for Python are free.
>
> Andreas
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.04.2008, 16:57 +0100 schrieb Alan Gauld:
>
>> "Jeffrey Dates" <kungfukoi at gmail.com> wrote
>>

>>> So as I'm starting to get into writing some scripts, I'm looking for
>>> recommendations for a nifty script editor.  Ideally a
>>> freeware/shareware
>>> solution until I can justify a purchase of something more beefy.
>>>
>> editor choice is a sensitive topic for programmers and
>> tends to lead to religious wars.

I use TickleText (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tickletext/ )
It doesn't have python syntax highlighting though.
I'm really just starting with python, and mostly hack tcl.tk,
in which TickleText is written.
It's good for writing html and LaTeX, and other stuff, too, and has
some other useful features.
It's certainly not as fat and bloated as Emacs (hehe...Emacs is cool,
really).
I used to use medit or kate.
But then I made Tickle Text.
Kdevelop is nice if you want a full IDE that does recognize python syntax.
And, of course, if you are using Linux.  I don't use KDE (use fluxbox), but
I like some of these KDE tools.

/tony

--
Anthony Baldwin