[Tutor] Which Python Script Editor of Choice?

Michael Langford mlangford.cs03 at gtalumni.org
Thu Apr 3 19:15:34 CEST 2008

Asking a programmer which editor to use is like asking which religion is
best.

I use VIM and IPython and shell scripts (I mostly program on windows, but
sometimes on Linux as well).

There are several options. I'm considering looking into PIDA, which is a
"IDE you make from tools you already use" but haven't had time to try to
check it out on windows.

Eric4 and Wingware are both very fully developed. Komodo also often gets
props from the "IDE People" I've known.

Other "IDE" choices go as follow, DrPython, pyCrust, emacs, VIM (has IDE
addons), IronPython/VisualStudio,  Boa Constrictor, and Eclipse.

I do often suggest to people who are just starting out: Learn to program
without an IDE, then use one after 6 mo/a year.

Many people who go this way, program with or without one just fine. Those
who start right away always using IDE's can just plain die when they hit an
environment where they don't have one (due to time, money, location, or
whatever).

Btw, if people know of good IDE's other than PIDA that are free, run on
windows and linux and allow use of VIM as the editor, please let me know.

                   --Michael

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Jeffrey Dates <kungfukoi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So as I'm starting to get into writing some scripts, I'm looking for
> recommendations for a nifty script editor.  Ideally a freeware/shareware
> solution until I can justify a purchase of something more beefy.
>
> Currently I'm using PSPad, however it's pretty dumb and doesn't recognize
> Python context.  Which, I suppose is fine, but would be nice if there was
> one.  Especially since I'm learning.
>
> My run time environment is IDLE.
>
> Any thoughts or preferences would be appreciated.
> thanks!
>
> Jeffrey Dates
> www.kungfukoi.com

Michael Langford