[Tutor] Google App Engine

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Apr 9 14:04:03 CEST 2008

H.C. v. Stockhausen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:35:37AM -0700, Dinesh B Vadhia wrote:
>> Hi!  Google announced an app server

> how safe is it to just run the dev server, as I didn't get one of the prerelease accounts either.

If by 'safe' you mean 'secure', I don't really know but I guess it is
probably pretty safe. The dev server is based on BaseHTTPServer and
other elements of the Python std lib.

If by 'safe' you mean 'robust', then no. I wouldn't use the dev server
for a production server:
- The dev server is single-threaded - it only serves one request at a
   time.
- The datastore is written in Python so it will probably not match the
   performance of PostgreSQL or the native Google Apps datastore.
- The default datastore stores all objects in memory so it will not
   scale well.
- User login is stubbed out

There is a google group where you might get a more detailed answer:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine

Kent