[Tutor] Doubts about Pylint

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Wed Apr 9 19:12:32 CEST 2008

At 09:59 AM 4/9/2008, Alex Ezell wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Dick Moores <rdm at rcblue.com> wrote:
> >  Comments?
>
>Since we started using code profilers and checkers like pyLint etc.,
>we've had a motto:
>
>"This is a guide. It is not the gospel."
>
>Take from pylint what you think helps and ignore the rest. It's just a
>tool and you can choose how to use it.

Your advice is well-taken. But 2 points/puzzlements.
1. Why does Pylint advocate variable names be in all caps? I thought
I should reserve all caps for indicating a constant..
2. Why is the code in many official Python modules (in Python25\Lib)
so sloppy by Pylint standards? See those many warnings and errors in
<http://www.rcblue.com/Ulipad/PyLintOnCalendar.py.jpg>

>That is, unless you want to actually change pylint. I'm sure there's
>opportunity to do that, as well, if you are so inclined.
>
>All that said, your "az" example seems a little silly on pylint's part. :)

Dick Moores