[Tutor] queries from the web & random number

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 10 19:24:39 CEST 2008

"linuxian iandsd" <pylinuxian at gmail.com> wrote

> now a website is protected by a ramdom number that i have to enter
> before i
> can login.its a picture with numbers on it that i have to type in in
> the
> authentication form before login in.

This is added to web sites to specifically stop people screen
scraping the site. Sometimes to stop comparison sites from
stealing trade, other times to force users to see sponsors
adverts.

If you ignore the owners/authors wishes you will make yourself
unpopular and very unlikely to get much support from them in
future. Worth considering before you deliberately set out to
circumvent their wishes

> now i need to at least be able to download this very first picture
> that has
> the random number on it to my hard disk so that i can look at it &
> feed my
> script with that number automatically. is that possible ?

Almost cerainly since its just an embedded image, although what
you do once you've grabbed it is another matter... If its present it
to the user for manual input not too bad, if its trying to auto-read
the text out of the uimage, then good luck!

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site