[Tutor] Old School

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Apr 11 16:08:52 CEST 2008

Dinesh B Vadhia wrote:
> I belong to the Old School where getting my head around OO is just one
> big pain.

 > I write software by modularization executed as a set of
> functions - and it works (some call this functional programming!).

Some are wrong. That style of programming is correctly called procedural
programming:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_programming

Functional programming "is a programming paradigm that treats
computation as the evaluation of mathematical functions and avoids state
and mutable data."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming

Many programs can be easily and naturally expressed in a procedural
style, there is nothing wrong with using it. One of Python's strengths
is that it supports several styles of programming. There are also
situations where an OO style yields a simpler, more manageable design.
This essay gives some reasons why you might want to learn about OO:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~kent37/stories/00014.html

Kent