[Tutor] designing POOP

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 22:03:49 CEST 2008

On Sat, Feb 9, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

>  As I mentioned in an earlier mail it tends to oscillate in practice.
>  You start off looking at the problem to identify the basic classes.
>  Then you pick one or two and start designing those in detail and
>  that identifies lower level classes. When you reach the point of
>  being able to write some code you do so. The act of writing code
>  brings up issues that get reflected back up the design - maybe
>  even identifying new classes. Once you've written as much
>  code as you can you go back up to the problem level, using
>  your new found knowledge and design a bit more. Once you
>  know enough to start coding go back into code mode again.
>
>  This constant iteration between top level class discovery and low
>  level class construction is what Grady Booch refers to in his book
>  as "Round Trip Gestalt Design" and in practice is how most
>  software other than the very biggest projects is built.

I recently found the Grady Booch book:
OBJECT ORIENTED DESIGN WITH APPLICATIONS. Benjamin Cummings, 1991.

pg. 189:
As Heinlein suggests, "When faced with a problem you do not understand,
do any part of it you do understand, then look at it again". This is just
another way of describing round-trip gestalt design.

pg. 517:
round-trip gestalt design
A style of design that emphasizes the incremental and iterative
development of a system, through the refinement of different yet
consistent logical and physical views of the system as a whole; the
process of object-oriented design is guided by the concepts of
round-trip gestalt design: round-trip gestalt design is a recognition of that
fact that the big picture of a design affects its details, and that the
details often reflect the big picture.

Happy Programming.
--
b h a a l u u at g m a i l dot c o m
Kid on Bus: What are you gonna do today, Napoleon?