[Tutor] in-memory pysqlite databases

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 14 00:31:59 CEST 2008

"Dinesh B Vadhia" <dineshbvadhia at hotmail.com> wrote

> Your last paragraph is the gist of my note ie. it's the
> documentation, documentation, documentation.

I agree it can be very variable in quality.
One of the problems of Open Source is that there are more
people who want to write code than there are who want to
write documentation...

> In addition to Python, we use Numpy/Scipy/webpy at
> the server - all of them Python libraries written in Python
> and/or C - and have faced no end of problems with
> these libraries.

All non standard items, all Open Source.

> We also use HTML/CSS/JavaScript/JQuery at the browser

All standard items for Browser work. Tools designed for the job.
Have you tried using non standard browser code libraries
like say the various graphing libraries for JavaScript? Or
sound libraries, say? They are just as patchy in support.

> Of course, these tools are fully documented including
> the dead tree type!

Exactly, but they are standard tools so need to be
compared to core Python not the contributed software.
Of course you could use Java on the server and then
you could buy commercial libraries that do the same
job as Numpy etc. But you have to pay hard $$$ for
those. So you take your choice: persevere with Python
and its libraries for its rapid development and hope the
time savings outweigh the time spent working out how
the libraries work or, pay out for the commercial products
and hope the savings in quality(*) outweigh the
expenditure. And also hope that the different tools work
together because if they don't you can't go look at
the source to fix it! Its all about making choices, but
that's engineering - you choose the right trade off!

(*)And of course that's a gamble too because there are
many badly documented commercial libraries too!
But at least you can complain to somebody! :-/

Alan G