[Tutor] Font capture from webpages

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 14 20:49:37 CEST 2008

"Ashish Sharma" <mail2ashish.sharma at gmail.com> wrote

> I want to find the font style,Font size written in webpage without
> looking into source code.

Do you mean you need to find the actual font used in the
browser regardless of the settings in the HTML/CSS source?

On Windows you can probably do that by querying
the OLE/DDE interface but it will be messy. On browsers
like Lynx or Links it will be determined by the users resource
file settings.

It seems like a very strange thing to want to do.
HTML and CSS allow a lot of scope for the browser to
interpret things like fonmts locally. For example if a
page specifies Helvetica it could wind up being displayed
on one browser as Helvetica and on another (on the same
computer!) as Arial or even Courier...

> Can Any one tell if there is API avalable for this in python .

Not in Python as such. You have a choice of ways of
parsing the HTML but querying the browser will need to
go via things like COM or DDE I suspect. (And I have
no idea what you'd do on Linux or MacOS!)

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site