[Tutor] Python Programming Tools

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 14 20:53:16 CEST 2008

"Jordan Greenberg" <jordangreenberg at gmail.com> wrote

> > What is a good IDE [for Python] that has Python tools for:
> >
> > library management,
> > code completion,
> > debugging,
> > documentation,
> > help

Depending on what he wants in the way of "Library Management"
then Pythonwin will give him all of that for free on Windows.

> > Since I'm not familiar with Java at all, I'm not sure how many
> > of the things he is asking for, are even relevant for Python?

They are all relevant but might have a slightly different meaning...

> complete IDE solution goes, PyDev for the Eclipse platform is pretty
> popular. If you're willing to spend some $$$, then PyDev Extensions
> (also for Eclipse) are good, or ActiveState's Komodo IDE. They seem
> be the gold standard.

I'd second that particularly since a Java programmer has
about a 50% chance of already using Eclipse so its an
easy continuation of what he already knows.

Platform independant but very resource hungry. But if he
uses it already thats not a problem.

Alan G.