[Tutor] Open url in browser window

Michael Finlayson mfin at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 02:12:47 CEST 2008

Hi all,

This is a serious newbie question. I started this morning. I need to do two
simple things (simple on a PC anyway), and I would like to ask the group if
it is even possible on a Mac before I go through learning Python.

I am a partner in an online training company. All training is delivered via
the web. Thus far, our training is accessed via an executable launcher in
Windows. We have been asked to create such a launching interface for a Mac
based client.

We use this approach for several reasons. For the security of our training
and the security of our clients computers, we do not allow students to know
where the training is on the web (to prevent unauthorized access), or visit
any other websites. No surfing while training! We do this by opening a
browser window of a specific size with no url line, no menus, nothing except
scroll bars, if necessary.

Also, to discourage trainees from skipping out of the training to launch
other applications, we also disable the tab key and control/alt/delete.

Are either or both of these possible on a Mac using Python? Again, we need
to:

1.       Control the default browser parameters (like you can setup popup
windows in javascript with the onClick="MM_openBrWindow command)

2.       Control of the user’s keyboard.

Obviously, these are both temporary and functionality is restored upon
exiting the training.

Thank you for your input.

Michael Finlayson

Checked by AVG.