[Tutor] web programming tutorials?

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Apr 18 17:04:01 CEST 2008

On 4/18/2008 8:20 AM, bob gailer wrote:
> Norman Khine wrote:
>> Here are the docs, http://download.ikaaro.org/doc/itools/index.html
>>

> Having never heard of itools I decided to take a look at the itools.web
> examples. I was OK with 13.1 Hello world. Then I hit 13.2 Traversal. The
> text on the page leaves me hopelessly lost. Is there any other explanation?

Bob,

Traversal (and acquisition) is (and are) standard Zope 2 terminology.
They are described, among other places, on page 226 of the Zope Book:

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ZopeBook-2_6.pdf

Here's an illustrated version of the same explanation:

http://plope.com/Books/2_7Edition/BasicScripting.stx#2-6

Zope picked this up from some storied academic paper somewhere I've
since misplaced. Several other Python frameworks subsequently picked it up.

Here's a paper from the 1996 Python Workshop 5 described how traveral
was implemented in what was then called the Python Object Publisher,
commissioned by what was then called the Python Software Activity (PSA)
which later became the PSF, code-named "Bobo," and later known as the
Zope Object Publisher:

http://www.python.org/workshops/1996-11/papers/PythonObjectPublisher.html

And thus is how all your bobobase came to belong to us.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.secoora.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530