[Tutor] web programming tutorials?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 19 13:52:34 CEST 2008

"Monika Jisswel" <monjissvel at googlemail.com> wrote

> reading theses emails i have a question :
> ikaaro  or zope - what's best ? which one is the most used ?

They are very different animals as far as I can rtell.

In terms of usage there is nom doubt Zope is more poular, you
can tell that by the fact that there are several commercial books
published by mainstream publishers about Zope. I know from
experiejce that a publisher won't go to print unless they are
confident they can sell at least several thousand copies.

Howeever Zope is a very big comprehesive web environment,
much bigger than is needed for the majority of web projects.
My guess is that the most popeular web frameworks just
now are Django and TurboGears(*), both of which are much
simpler than Zope but offer much of its convenience. As I
understand it ikaaro is more directly targetted at the Django
type user community than Zope. Zope is great if youneed to
build a big complex web site with many visitors each performing
complex transactions.

(*)TurboGears is really a package of other framework
components, most notably CherryPy which has its own
independant community and so could therefore be argued
to be most popular if you aggregate TurboGears and
CherryPy users.

But comparing Zope with ikaaro is not really a sensible
comparison. Its like comparing Microsoft Access with
IBM DB2 as databases. They have totally different
audiences.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld