[Tutor] web programming tutorials?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 20 15:55:42 CEST 2008

"Monika Jisswel" <monjissvel at googlemail.com> wrote

> confused & maybe lost. my choice to go python was because i could
> feel its
> power from the first applications I could develop, then were able to
> modify
> (in no time), expand (with no single problem & in no time) ... I
> want to
> feel the same experience again in web development .

I sympathise but feel you will be dissapointed.
The web is almost by its nature a mess. It is a hodge podge
of ideas glued onto what was originally intended as a simple
documentation repository. Berners-Lee never expected
http/html to become the main application framework of
the 21st century. We have got to where we are with web
technology by a triumph of innovation over good engineering.
The result is a bunch of technologies and frameworks that
often don't work well together and are either insecure,
unreliable or both.

There are moves afoot to addresss most of these things (Web services,
new http versions, xhtml etc) but none of these are mature yet and
even fewer are in widespread use.

The result is that you can choose whichever framework
you like and it will serve you fairly well, but with limitations.
So in shhort there is no equivalent to Python application
programming for the web. This probably shouldn't surprise
us, the web is only 15 years old, computing is about 60
years old. Python was created with about 45 years of research
behind it, the web is still being invented.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site