[Tutor] I can't believe this needs to be this complex

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 12:27:34 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Dick Moores <rdm at rcblue.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty new to Python's dictionaries, but I had a need for a function
> that would find the values in a dict that have more than one key each. It
> took me several hours to write. See
> <http://py77.python.pastebin.com/f397582d8>. Seems to do the job, both with
> the example shown, and with the dict of colors at
> <http://py77.python.pastebin.com/f796752ff>.
>
> But I can't believe the function needs to be so complex. And also, I suppose
> I've reinvented the wheel (again). Please instruct me.
>
> My apologies in advance to Kent for not using a single list comprehension.

Well, list comprehension does indeed seem the solution to your
problem, although a single list comprehension would not be necessary.
I came to http://py77.python.pastebin.com/m4dcbb34f (note: this is
untested, I have no Python on the computer I am working on now), or
http://py77.python.pastebin.com/f76ba5002 to indeed just use a single
list comprehension (or rather, two nested list comprehensions, again
untested for the above reason).

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com