[Tutor] Ongoing trouble with Turtle's end_fill() - caused by abug in turtle.py

Dick Moores rdmoores at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 04:23:08 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Gregor Lingl <gregor.lingl at aon.at> wrote:
> Hi Dick,
>
> first of all, thanks for your efforts using the new turtle module
> and reporting about your experiences and the problems you ran into.

Sure. And I'm not finished. There seem to be some interesting new
things worth investigating.

> I've already made some remarks on it in a former reply in this thread.

Yes. Thanks.

>>> Again true of a physical turtle... But if you set speed to fastest
>>> does that work? Also in the old turtle moduile there was a way to
>>> hide the turtles movements completely and just draw the finished
>>> graphic - which was orders of magnitude faster for complex
>>> shapes - is that still available in turtle26?
>>>

> Here better tracer() should come in!

'Deprecated in version 2.6'?? And the doc gives nary a clue how to use it.
http://docs.python.org/dev/library/turtle.html#turtle.tracer

>> Yes, penup().
>> <http://docs.python.org/dev/library/turtle.html#turtle.penup>
>>

>>> Maybe more not understanding(remembering) the origin of turtle graphics.
>>> It was for kids to understand computer graphics... Seeing the shapes
>>> being drawn is a big part of that.
>>>

> That's why now turtles have got a better animation. (That means: the
> resulting drawing should be
> the same weather you use the old module or the new one, but *not* what you
> see, when you observe
> the turtles at work. Therfore I wrote (nearly?) 100% compatible. And of
> course, the now one
> has a lot of additional enhacements.)

And I'm going to have questions! Already have one. What is tracer()?

Thanks for these: <http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Demo/turtle/>

Dick