[Tutor] Confused about "import Numeric" vs "import numpy" for Arrays

S Python spython01 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:56:27 CEST 2008

Hi Everyone,

I would like to create a two-dimensional array but am confused as to
how to go about it.

I've read about Numeric Python and Numpy.  Are they one and the same?
Also, how do I install them?  I am working on a Windows machine.

I've been getting the following error messages:

>>> import Numeric

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#3>", line 1, in <module>
    import Numeric
ImportError: No module named Numeric
>>> from Numeric import *

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#4>", line 1, in <module>
    from Numeric import *
ImportError: No module named Numeric

I then downloaded and installed release 1.1.1 of the Numpy package
from this site:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&package_id=175103

After restarting the shell, I still get the same errors above (though
I do have this directory now: C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy).

Anyone know how to correctly install and use this package?

Thanks in advance.

Samir