[Tutor] What has Editor X got that PyWin32 hasn't?

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:04:40 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Dick Moores <rdm at rcblue.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> And read this: http://www.moolenaar.net/habits.html
>

> Hey, that looks very useful! Thanks.
>
> How about the O'Reilly book? <http://www.bestbookdeal.com/book/detail/059652983X/

 I've never read it, but looking at the summary it appears to give you the
power and knowledge to become a vi/vim god... My current knowledge of vi/vim
is probably maybe about 1% of what I could possibly know and utilize. For
instance, I currently rely on other people to write my syntax files (the
ones that govern highlighting, indention, et al). The list of commands I use
could probably fit on a 3x5 notecard if you wrote small enough. But really
it's enough for the casual and educational (read: my c++ class at the
University of Central Arkansas) coding that I do. And I find it quicker (as
in I'm able to edit and create more lines of code), more powerful (its
features are more versatile and customizable), and more comfortable (I'm not
constantly moving my hands around. They more or less stay stationary. I
don't move back & forth to the mouse, I'm not constanly pushing ctrl, pg
up/dn, home/end/del) than any other editor I've used. I've used
note/wordpad, the microsoft visual studio editors, and IDLE and the
ActiveState python editor.

Once you're done with the vimtutor, and if(when ;) ) you find you enjoy vim,
if you feel that you want to be able to do insane things, or you just wish
you had a feature that was available in some other IDE, I'd bet that book is
a good source. If you're just the average joe coder, my guess is that you'll
be able to find all the information you want/need out on the web in various
places.

> Still, for all of the reasons that other people mention, and my biggest
> reason is that I can select and move around massive amounts of code without
> moving my hands much. If I want to delete 10 lines of code, 10dd does it. If
> I want to change a word, cw. If I want to change several words, the number
> of words followed by cw.
>
> and I find the autocomplete WAY useful.
>
> and then you will most likely never go back - at least I haven't/don't. I
> feel crippled when I program in  anything without the power of vi/vim, even
> though I can probably almost match my speed with some of the ctrl+ and
> shift+ hotkeys in most editors.
>
> Is it better than in other editors?

The autocomplete, or vi/vim? Autocomplete is probably as good as most other
editors. As you're typing, if you want autocomplete you push ctrl+n and it
pops down a list of available matches. You push ctrl+n to cycle through the
matches, and then either hit enter or continue typing.

As far as vi/vim being better than other editors, well that depends on your
personal preference and experience, but if you're a touch typist, prefer to
use the keyboard, and hate wasting  motions and extra keystrokes... vi/vim
is probably for you.

HTH,
Wayne

--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,