[Tutor] What has Editor X got that PyWin32 hasn't?

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 01:54:21 CEST 2008

Dick Moores wrote:
> At 08:58 PM 8/13/2008, bob gailer wrote:
>> One thing I really like about Python Win is the integrated debugger,
>> which takes no time to start up. SPE OTOH uses WinPDB which runs as a
>> separate process that takes (in the demo video) 15 seconds to start
>> (each time it is requested)! Since I depend heavily on the debugger
>> that delay would drive me crazy!
> Hm, I just measured how long Ulipad takes to get going with WinPDB, a
> plug-in: 20 seconds, but 10 seconds for a restart.

Since you mention Ulipad I may have tried WinPDB there instead of SPE. I
just remember trying it and not liking it. Python Win is totally
integrated and seamless.
> Other than the time to start, could you compare debugging with Python
> Win and debugging with WinPDB?

I'll taks a stab. All I know about WinPDB is what I see in the SPE
video, so it probably is not the truth. What I see is a screen cluttered
with a lot of windows, and having to switch application to access the
output window or the code editor to make changes. Wth PyWin I work in
the same familiar environment. The interactive window is available for
viewing output and entering Python statements and expressions. If I want
to see the stack or watch variables I can open floating or dockable windows.

Python Win serves my workflow. I am editing a script. I decide to run it
so I can see what steps it takes and what values my variables are getting.

All I have to is press F10 in the active window and execution starts
with the first statement. I can set breakpoints with F9, control
execution with F11 F10 shift-F11 F5 and shift-F5. I can edit my source
on the fly (changes of course do not take effect until the next
execution cycle, and I must take care to not delete or add lines (the
debugger does not know about such changes).

I can set a condition for a breakpoint.

OTOH WinPDB displays more information (witness locals globals exceptions
and threads). I don't know how PythonWin handles threads.

Bob Gailer
Chapel Hill NC

When we take the time to be aware of our feelings and
needs we have more satisfying interatctions with others.

Nonviolent Communication provides tools for this awareness.

As a coach and trainer I can assist you in learning this process.

What is YOUR biggest relationship challenge?