[Tutor] python-ldap installation

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 20:15:53 CEST 2008

This may sound silly, but I've been searching for a reliable method
for installing the python-ldap module for Python 2.4 in a Windows XP
environment.  Actually, I'm looking for a method that would work
cross-platform with Linux and OS X as well, or at least methods that
were close enough in nature to be called similar.

As far as Windows goes: I've tried installing the binary linked from
the python-ldap project page, but that is a third-party binary, and
they only have installers for 2.5 (I tried these just to be sure, and
sure enough, 2.4 won't import the module, as it wants a 2.5 DLL
instead).

I did find a binary elsewhere that someone created [1], but this one
seems fairly outdated.

Ultimately, I'd like to automate an installation method as part of a
buildout environment script that could work on multiple platforms, but
I'm not sure that's going to be possible: Windows doesn't use apt-get,
OS X doesn't use DLL files, etc.  I also found this post [2], which
probably works for systems that use apt-get, but not for others, and
seems fairly complicated as well.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and pointers on whether this is
possible, or the best way to do it on different platforms.

~John

[1] http://www.agescibs.org/mauro/
[2] http://bluedynamics.com/articles/jens/python-ldap-as-egg-with-buildout