[Tutor] Working with IDLE in XP, Set Up for A New Program

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 28 01:48:45 CEST 2008

"Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote

> would like to know if there's an easier way to start it than
> what I use? I pick on a py file, and then use the pull down menu,
> right-click, to select IDLE.

Yes, it should be on the Start menu possibly listed as Python GUI.

Or you can set up a shortcut to it by selecting idle.pyw in explorer
and creating a shortcut and dragging it to your desktop.

Or you could do yourself a favour and get the Pythonwin
extensions and use Pythonwin instead. IDLE is fine for a
cross platform IDE but it is ugly and less feature rich than
Pythonwin. And the pythonwin installer sets up the menus
etc for you.

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site