[Tutor] sqlite3 Python25 parameter binding problemwithUPDATEplease help

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 3 09:20:25 CET 2008

"aivars" <aivars868 at gmail.com> wrote

> I fully agree with you - I still need to understand basic Python (I
> actually warned that I am a complete noob) and how it works. And
> probably I need a couple of goof books.

To be honest you don;t need many books on Python, the web resources
are adequate. Pesonally I only use about 4 or 5 books asnd they are
almost all on specific topics: Tkinter, wxPythn,TurboGears, Networks
etc.
Python in a Nutshell is the only general book I use as a reference.

> Maybe I am trying to do the things which are too advanced for my
> level

Just on the edge given your knowledge level.

> are considered as advanced topics but the reason is that for me I
> need
> a real project to work with to learn a programming language.

Thats a good thing. But be aware of the dangers - you will learn a
lot of bad habits that will cause you problems later. Its liker
learning
to play a musical instrument by ear just by puicking out the notes
of your favourite tune. Unless you learn chords and proper finger
positions etc you will never get beyond being a beginner/intermediate
level.

Same with programming, you do need to knuckle down and learn
some of the basic theory and principles if you ever want to progress
beyond that stage.

> Also I am completely self-taught in programming.

Not in itself a problem provided you do take the time to actually
learn
rather than just picking up bits n pieces ad hoc.

> it now. And I will try not to bother people on this list too often.

Its not the frequency of asking thats an issue, we don't ,mind
answering questions, thats what we are here for. But do take the
time to *understand* the answer, don't just think "OK I'll stick []
around values and that'll mayubermake it work" Take the time to
really understand why [] worked in the first case but actually
caused the problem in the second. And if you don't understand,
ask for the explanation.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld